Thursday, 9 June 2011

Self Help



Good morning readers!

I hope that everyone is well.

Today I'm going to talk about self help. I'm sure you've heard of this before.

Being Bipolar, the doctors recommend that I take medication to keep myself "on a level". However, I have a few friends with Bipolar Disorder and they wish they weren't medicated! Also, I am a student and I have heard that the medication can affect your concentration and motivation! Totally not what I want!!

So, what do I do I hear you ask?!

Well, I read. A LOT!

There are many many books out there that can help you think better and feel better. Not everyone is a fan of self help but personally I am not a fan of being medicated so this is the alternative for me!

The first book I would like to recommend is a book called Flip It. It was written by a guy called Michael Heppell.



Now, this kind of book is not for everyone! I'm not a big fan of the whole NLP thing, I find it very irritating!! However, I found this particular book great. I simply selected the bits I wanted to read and left the rest out!

There is also a website that has a lot of information on it. I subscribed to the '90 days of brilliance' by going here http://www.michaelheppell.com/resourcesindex/90-days-of-brilliance/ Again, this is not for everyone but I found it useful!

The next book that I found useful was bought for me by my partner. It is called: The Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder by Stephanie Marohn




This book has given me endless insight into the every day things that can trigger my moods. This does, of course, apply to absolutely anyone and not just those with Bipolar Disorder. Once again though, this book is not for everyone and I found myself getting angry at times whilst reading it! It is just great for dipping in and testing the water so to speak!

So those are my top 2 books for people with Bipolar Disorder.

There are also books that you can get if you are the partner of someone with Bipolar Disorder. The book I have chosen is mainly aimed at depression but the information contained within still applies!

I bought one for my partner which he has found endlessly useful. It is called: Living with the black dog: How to cope when your partner is depressed by Caroline Carr.




I have not personally read this book therefore cannot say how good it is. What I can say though is that it has changed my partner's outlook! He has learned a lot about depression and the effects it can have on a person!

So, these are my top 3 recommendations for you. They helped me a lot and I hope they help you too!!

Keep smiling! :):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!