Tuesday, 7 June 2011

What is Bipolar Disorder?



It seems to me there has been a bit of a trend with Bipolar Disorder. It has become a popular illness for celebrities to claim to have. Now, I'm not disputing the fact that they actually have it, however, their lifestyles are somewhat different to mine and also they have more money than sense. It wouldn't be hard for them to get a diagnosis.

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (Fourth Edition) Bipolar Disorder is a mood disorder. There are many different types of Bipolar Disorder:

Bipolar I Disorder, Bipolar II Disorder, Cyclothymia, and Bipolar Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

There are six separate criteria sets for Bipolar I Disorder: Single Manic Episode, Most Recent Episode Hypomanic, Most Recent Episode Manic, Most Recent Episode Mixed, Most Recent Episode Depressed, and Most Recent Episode Unspecified. Bipolar I Disorder, Single Manic Episode, is used to describe individuals who are having a first episode of mania.The remaining criteria sets are used to specify the nature of the current (or most recent) episode in individuals who have had recurrent mood episodes.

I could go into further detail but I don't wish to bore everyone! Anyone who want's more information I can send you my PDF copy of the DSM IV for you to read at your leisure.

Keep Smiling! :(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!