Sunday, 24 June 2012

Judge not...

BLOG STARTS HERE

Mental illness is a rather taboo subject right? Just like homosexuality? What about race? Religion? Culture? It's all taboo right?

Well it shouldn't be!!

People are too quick to judge others. I believe it's not because they don't like the mentally ill, homosexuals or people from different races, religions, cultures etc. I think it is due to the fear of the unknown.

Thankfully, people are more accepting of homosexuals these days. The same goes for people from all over the world... except for the mentally ill.



I believe that people are not educated enough on these matters. Sometimes it may not be their fault. If they don't encounter mentally ill people why would they need to learn? Unfortunately, however, some people are just closed minded. These are the people that create challenges for people with mental illnesses in their every day lives. They may or may not understand about mental illnesses, they simply don't care! 

I recently wrote a thematic analysis about the media portrayal of mental illness. One particular theme I noticed throughout the article I was working on was animalistic. The article I was assigned was about Raoul Moat, you may have heard about what he did in 2010. According to this article, Moat had made threats whilst he was in prison. The article described him as having "eyes like a mad bull". Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying Moat is a victim in any way so please don't think that, the point of my analysis was to see how the media portrayed mental illness.



From the article, it was unclear as to whether Moat actually had a diagnosed illness however, there were numerous references to him being 'mad' and 'crazy'. This may well be true, however, this is not true of mentally ill people. From this article, I felt that the author was branding mentally ill people as 'crazy animals'. That's not fair and it's not true! 

I made a short video for my Youtube page which you can see below:




I'm not saying that all mentally ill people are sound of mind because that's not true. What I am saying is there is no need to judge someone just because they have a mental illness!

In my every day life, there are very few people who actually know I have a mental illness. In fact, I'd say less than 10 people know the full extent of my illness. I often get judged anyway because I have tattoos and coloured hair. None of these things give any indication as to the sort of person I am! They are just opinions people form without actually knowing me! 

I am not a religious person per se but there is an extract from the bible that rings true with me:



The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2000.

The Gospel according to
St. Matthew
7

Judging Others
Lk. 6.37384142
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mk. 4.24 
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6 ¶ Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.




In simple terms, DON'T JUDGE!

Thanks for reading. 

Keep Smiling :(: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!