Wednesday, 13 April 2016

STEPHEN FRY HITS OUT AT ‘INFANTILE’ CULTURE OF TRIGGER WORDS AND SAFE SPACES





I have to say, I agree with Stephen Fry here. 

He is in no way telling victims of abuse to "get over it". That is such a gross misrepresentation of his words. Having trigger warnings and "safe spaces" absolutely ARE necessary but they absolutely do NOT belong in the mainstream. We are becoming a nation of hand holding crybabies. 

Ok, I don't agree with his "stop watching super hero movies" bit but we need to stand up and take responsibility for ourselves. Discussions about rape, murder and child abuse are incredibly important. 
Discussions of ALL taboo subjects are imperative for us to grow as a society. We need to understand these issues and in order to understand they must be vigorously discussed. 

Too many people these days have knee jerk reactions. Especially where children are concerned. I work with children and believe me, if anyone were to hurt one of my charges in my presence I would tear them apart but we must have these discussions and have them loudly. 

Should a child abuser get away with their crimes? No but we shouldn't "hang them" or "castrate them". They must become specimens that we can study to figure out why they committed such crimes and prevent them from happening again. 

I fear for future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!