Friday, 11 August 2017

Is this the real life?

It has been three years since my all time favourite clown left us. In that time, we have seen many other celebrities open up about their struggles. Some have been applauded whilst others have been torn to shreds.



Trigger warning - suicide\rape

➡ 1 in 4 of us will suffer depression in our lifetime.
➡ Suicide rates in UK females are the highest they have been in a decade.
➡ Suicide rates in the UK have increased by 3.8% since 2014.
➡ Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 50 in the UK.

➡ Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour.
➡ Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year.
➡ 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16.
➡ Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police
➡ Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence.
➡ A third of people believe women who flirt are partially responsible for being raped
➡ Conviction rates for rape are far lower than other crimes, with only 5.7% of reported rape cases ending in a conviction for the perpetrator.

I have tried being more vocal about my mental health and struggles only to be shut down with questions like:

"Do you really think people need to hear that you think about suicide so often?" Actually, yes. I think it is imperative that those who claim to love me know this about me. In great detail.

"Do you have to talk about mental health so much?" Yes. Yes I do. Because mental illness is a daily struggle for myself and millions of others. If I can empower just one other person to be ok with not being ok then it is a job well done.

"Why do you keep telling people you were raped? That's private." IS IT? IS IT REALLY?! You're actually wrong. Sex and intimacy are private. Between consenting adults. Rape is a crime. Keeping silent skews the statistics. Keeping silent keeps me a victim. Keeping silent exacerbates my pain. That is not worth it. Not even for the comfort of those I love the most. I would rather you feel uncomfortable than I suffer in silence.

"It makes me/others feel uncomfortable to see these posts. Could you maybe change your settings so I don't have to see them?" FUCK NO! Not a fucking chance! I will provide trigger warnings where necessary but I will not customise my news feed to shield you from the reality of my world. If you don't like it, unfriend me!

I am an addict.
I am a rape survivor.
I am a domestic abuse survivor.
I have pretty severe physical disabilities.
I have pretty severe psychological illnesses

This is my reality. This is the reality for millions of us. I helped save the life of at least one person thanks to the existence pf a mental health group. I have saved the lives of others by talking openly about my struggles. Every day that I am alive I am saving my own life. This is my reality.

If that bothers you, go fuck yourself!

"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!